Growing up in Georgia, BBQ flavoured baked beans were an obligatory side at nearly any cookout or family gathering. I replicate the rich Southern dish of my childhood with this easy recipe using Jack Daniel’s Sweet Smokey BBQ Glaze.
Jack Daniel’s might be world renown for its Tennessee sipping whiskey but that’s not the only thing the famous distillery is producing these days. Jack Daniel’s also has its own range of BBQ sauces. There are six flavours in the Jack Daniel’s BBQ Sauce range including Smooth Original, Sweet Smokey, Hot Pepper, Tennessee Honey, Full Flavour Smokey and Extra Hot Habanero. Each is yummy in its own way adding distinctive and whiskey-tinged umph to all sorts of kitchen creations and back garden grills.
In particular I’ve found that Jack Daniel’s Sweet Smokey BBQ Glaze has a robust depth that pairs perfectly with baked beans. Check out my recipe and see what you think.
SMOKEY SWEET BBQ BAKED BEANS Yum
Ingredients (for 8-10 large servings)
- 3 415g cans of baked beans;
- 1 or 2 diced onions;
- 100ml Jack Daniel’s Smokey Sweet BBQ Glaze;
- Crispy bacon to taste (optional) keeping in mind that if using a conventional casserole dish you’ll need 10 or more strips to completely cover the beans and that they’ll shrink when baked).
- Preheat oven to 175 C;
- Pour beans into a casserole dish or Dutch oven;
- Mix in the onions;
- Add the glaze and mix thoroughly;
- Add strips of bacon to the top of the beans;
- Cover with foil or lid;
- Place in the oven;
- Cook for 45 minutes and check;
- Remove foil and cook for another 15 minutes or so;
- If baking with bacon on top, cook until its as crispy as you’d like it to be.
Southern style baked beans are a great side with all sorts of dishes, especially grilled and smoked meats. They can take your typical Full English fry up to the next level of yum as well!
Read more tikichris recipes.
Find out more about Jack Daniel’s BBQ Sauces at jackdanielsbbqsauces.com.